Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Today I Made a Difference

Today I made a difference.( Happened few days ago)
Have you ever had an experience so out of the ordinary that even though you were actually there, you can hardly believe it really happened? That type of experience happened to me today.
My daughter and I went out to eat. At dinner, Varsha commented, “I think you were born to coach/teach people, Mom.” I laughed and told her I agreed. After dinner, we decided to stop in a small department store next door to the restaurant. We split up as we usually do, going in our own direction and meeting up somewhere in the middle.
Today something happened that cemented in stone the direction my life is meant to take. As I was walking down an aisle, a woman spoke to me from behind. It was obvious she was not 100% there mentally, but I was courteous and answered her. She spoke about how bad her job was, and the economy, and how everyone was out to get her, etc…
It was obvious she was a tad bit delusional. I’ve learned to never feel sorry for anyone because we are all special in our own way. I treated her with the same respect and dignity I would any other person and listened to her. That’s all she wanted.
She followed me around as I looked down the aisles, her story getting more in depth as we went along. She mentioned several times how she wished she were dead, and how she would be if it weren’t for taking care of her parents.
I spoke hopeful words to her, and encouraged her to take it a day at a time. I spoke of taking care of herself first so she had more to give to her parents. She was crying when my eleven year old daughter, Varsha, walked up.
Varsha was looking at me with a “what on Earth are you doing, Mom?” look. Her look turned to a look of admiration as she listened to this woman talk with such desperation and heard this lady’s voice and demeanor change as she ate up the attention I was giving her.
I encouraged her to find her dreams and pursue them. She spoke of being a teacher at one time, and I encouraged her to find her place teaching again. I asked her if she liked to write, and she said she loved to. Once again, I encouraged her to start writing and share her experiences with others, as it would be very theraputic.
She had a smile on her face when we parted ways. That was a far cry from the desperation she was wearing a matter of minutes before.
We can all make a difference in this world if we just take the time to share a little bit of ourselves with others. Everyone has a special gift to share with the world, and sometimes it just takes the kindness of a stranger to point it out.
Who knows if she was serious about wanting to kill herself, but if she was, maybe someone showing a little kindness and interest changed her mind. Once again I’m learning life’s lessons in the strangest of ways…
My life was enriched tremendously by this woman, and I realize that my small gesture of kindness will be repaid to me in wonderous ways.
I may never know if I helped her, but she taught me how to be open and a little more selfless and I’m very thankful for her gift.
The next time I’m put in a situation such as this, I’ll do better…I’ll get her name.